Monday, August 13, 2012

Can Can Brasserie and a late afternoon in Carytown.........

Last weekend
after my little adventure to Bygones..
I decided instead of going out for dinner,
I'd sit and have dessert and coffee
and get some writing done.
What better place 
than to sit in the window
at
(in Carytown, Richmond, Va )

I pulled up a chair 
and perused the desserts on the menu...
Let me tell you everything sounded delicious...
I finally decided on
a dessert which consisted of an orange ice cream,
anise/almond biscotti 
an espresso caramel with some sort of amazing sauce!
I wish I had written it all down.
Here is what it looked like!
A lot more than what I thought...
but what the heck..
.I skipped dinner because we never make it to dessert!
Let me just say
it was one of the best desserts I have ever eaten!
Everything is made in the restaurant,
ice cream and all.
I am usually not an anise fan...
but like most foods I find when they are done well...
certain flavors are not overpowering and end up being quite good.
That was totally the case with this!
The ice cream was not overly sweet with that sort of texture 
that manufactured does from all the corn syrup in it.
It was very creamy and the orange was light and fresh tasting.
The caramel had the most wonderful flavor ...
a hint of caramel and then the taste of coffee just barely sneaks in right at the end
with maybe a taste of the anise on the last note.
I could be completely wrong as to what was in this,
but it was excellent!
 I decided to try something different instead
of coffee....
They call this their
Paris Tea Latte...
Currant and Citrus black tea
sweetened with caramel and vanilla syrup.
A new favorite by far!
Although I think no one else will be able to make it right.
The wonderful thing about this was that
again,
the flavors were not overpowering.
Usually anytime you go to a coffee shop and they add syrup it is 
waaay too much.
You hardly taste the real drink after they are done.
This had a wonderful light citrus taste
with just a hint of sweetness from the caramel and vanilla
that made it so smooth.
You got a nice whiff and quick taste of the cinnamon or 
whatever it was on top just as you took a sip!
I think I got into a bit of sensory overload!
 (Maybe I looked like Meg Ryan in when Harry met Sally)
The funny thing was that as I was eating....
I was also writing and I would stop and take a photograph
every so often as the light would change...
The sun was starting to set
and all photographers know that dusky light is the best.
After an hour or so
I gathered up my things and was getting up to leave when 
the couple behind me stopped me
and said they "wanted to be nosy"....
They thought I was a food critic!
They wanted to tell me about how great their dinner was
and then wanted to know what
I had eaten.
When their dessert came and they had to share with me
how good it was too!
I guess people aren't used to seeing others,
especially a woman, confident enough to sit and eat by themselves.
Probably the fact that I was writing as I ate
made them think it the most though.
I then told them about my photography, my blog and a few other
artistic endeavors.
They were really sweet and asked me to photograph their desserts!
I did but the light changed so much and my settings
were a bit off so the pics turned out a bit blurry.
It wouldn't do them justice to post them.
I said goodbye and left them to finish their desserts
and headed out into a rarity...
Cary Street totally closed down...


 Just a few people left from the
Watermelon festival earlier in the day...
some street musicians
and the cleanup crews...
Cary Street is never this empty or without cars....
Nacho Mama's a favorite for cheap eats...

Always love this painted lady at
Xtras cafe...
and lastly 
caught this out of the corner of my eye...

How awesome is this graffiti?
I'd put that metal panel in my house!
All in all it was a great impromptu visit...
Mr.Keeper and I will be heading back for our anniversary
Hopefully I'll be able to share some more pics of some
other favorites and a little more of Richmond.
Next time you are in Richmond or heading through
program your GPS to take you to Can Can!
You will not regret it!
Now go eat some dessert because I'm sure I made you totally hungry,
right?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I'm so envious. I had an expensive dessert at a restaurant when we were out celebrating the other night and it was NOT delicious. And yes, as a matter of fact, I am now hungry for that dessert AND the drink! I want to live in VA!

    ReplyDelete