Sunday, June 16, 2013

Gel Sticks, Ink, and late night Latte's....

Happy Father's Day!
Hope you are safe and happy
wherever you are....

I wanted to share a bit of what I have been up to lately...

I have been trying to spend my evenings
at the table
drawing and painting.

I have always loved watercolors.
For me drawing and painting,etc. came naturally..
but 
what I have realized
is that I don't 
PRACTICE...
I can't expect to throw out something I'm really proud of
 if I don't.
 After taking a class with Melody Ross
it really stuck with me 
when she said
"I've done this thousands of times, it comes naturally now -
you can't expect to be perfect or for it to be easy your first time"
While I have always been artistic
 it hit home
that I'm too sporadic at what I do...

I decided to try a more
loose use of color and wash
versus 
the very intricate way I used to paint.
Then I decided to add in some pen and ink to the mix...
I have been using my Pinterest boards for inspiration...
I painted this the 2nd night I decided to start this journey...
 I'm just using a Sketchbook
not a watercolor pad...

Third night I came up with a similar version
but on watercolor paper...



on the fourth night
I went back to the sketchbook
and 
created this
I'm really happy with how she turned out...
I used a B&W photo that I have
on my Artsy Goodness page 
on Pinterest.
The image doesn't do her justice in my opinion...
I'm falling in love with the use of ink in addition
to the watercolors.
It has been a lot of fun   - honestly.
 I have been up quite late  a few of those nights.
It is funny though -
 when I am doing something I am so "into"
 I could care less about being hungry
or 
tired...I can't stop!
I'll keep you up to speed with some of my progress
during this  summer.
Do you have a new medium you have tried recently?
or
a new product that you think is amazing?
Here is a link to what the Gel Sticks are if you have not seen them before-
at  
 I have both sets pictured...
 I think it is hilarious that they are marketing them
with the children's pictures
 I think these would be a mess
with a child who is not careful. 
They are very creamy - once onto  the page
- fine - 
but I could see 
a child getting them on other things before that 
and they'd be a pain to get off!

Hope you had a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. PAM! I knew you were a talented woman but wanted to tell you how much I love your sketches! Keep up the excellent work. Hope you don't mind that I pinned these....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all! It is amazing (for me) how much more comfortable I am getting with them every night! You are the best Theresa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're spending more time on your art! I wish I could draw and I always admire people who can!

    ReplyDelete